Monday, June 1, 2015

An Interesting Find On Youtube!

You know, following sports has been a huge part of my life since I started collection sports cards around the age of nine. Before that, I played several sports. Maybe I should have written, "Tried to play several sports. Now, I was never really good at hockey or basketball. Baseball was, sadly, a case of all-hit-no-field for me. Tennis and golf actually ended up being my two favourite and best sports. Golf, in particular, in my last few years.

Baseball, though, as you can tell by reading my blog, was once my favourite to watch. My father had been a huge New York Yankee fan during the heyday of the Mickey Mantle era (50s and 60s), and would tell me stories of the World Series from that time. My older brother was a pretty good baseball player back in the late 80s and early 90s. My younger brother proved to be a pretty good player himself in the mid to late 90s. I never caught on.

We used to live in Stoney Creek, Ontario, which is located east of Hamilton, for most of the 1980s. Now, a confession: I didn't so much as care for the Little League World Series! And sorry, there will be no "Little League World Series: Did You Know?" here. Unless someone wants to write it for me. Can I have a volunteer?

So I read an article the other day about how 2015 marks the 50th anniversary of Canada's only trip to the Little League World Series. Amazingly enough, it was a team from Stoney Creek that made it. Having seen my brother play Optimus Little League, it suddenly took on a new meaning. The very fact that the league started playing on the same street that my very first school is now located, only added to that.

So to make a long story short, I tried to locate the rosters and other related material to the 1965 Little League World Series. Little did I know that the entire game from '65 still existed and someone was kind enough to upload it to youtube!

My initial reaction to all this was it was just a bunch of kids who could field a lot better then I could. I don't know if Little League has ever adopted the DH, but it sure wasn't around in '65, thus I would not have had a chance to make it, even back then!

Enjoy!



References

http://stoneycreeklittleleague.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment